Lot of retired people with lot of money living perhaps with their spouse, or living in a nursing or care facility. They seem to have everything that they worked for all their lives, yet they seem very empty and sad.Whether they were bedridden or had no other people about them at all, but there are many things one could do in life that perhaps they haven’t done. Perhaps they, too, might be able to start thinking this way, too.
- First of all is one’s outlook on life. If circumstances get a person down, there is no way he or she can feel happy and alive. No matter how bad things get to be, there is probably some redeeming quality in what is happening.
- Secondly, though it may be said too many times these days,that an older person needs to keep active and healthy.
- Thirdly, eat as much as you need to to feel good.Don’t overeat.One must be careful not to gain too much weight, but be sure you enjoy what you eat, and eat healthy foods. Healthy foods are delicious, when added to one’s diet regularly.
- Fourth, look good every day. Wear nice clothes, or as nice as you can afford. People treat you well if you wear things that are becoming and look nice and clean. Comb your hair and put on makeup if you are a woman. Take a bath every day and keep yourself clean and sparkling.
- If you are in pain, take care of whatever ails you. If your leg hurts, find out why and take herbs or do physical therapy which will restore it to full use. See a doctor when you must, but don’t overdo the medical dependence. Read and talk to others about what they have done to relieve their aches and pains. Exercising regularly is very good for keeping aching muscles from spoiling your life.
- Some people have a problem with genetic ailments. Perhaps cancer is prevalent among family members. Perhaps cataracts or heart problems. In this case, one must take care to check on this particular weakness periodically and make sure it does not happen to you. Actually, the threat of an ailment can spur one on to do more to stay healthy. If you know that exercise is good for heart problems, you will exercise more. This will also be good for other problems that may plague you.
- If you are bored, find something to work on. Get outside the house and help someone else.
- If you find your activities limited, find things that might be possible within your limits. Reading or listening to music at concerts or other places is good fun. The trick is to apply yourself seriously to your chosen recreation.
- Remember what you wanted to do when you grew up. Did you do it? If not, do it now.
- Be careful not to fall into a “waiting” trap, where you feel like you are waiting on the world to save you. It won’t happen. You are the only one who can do anything about your situation. If you act like it is the end of the world, it may be. But if you act like you are alive, you will attract others and life will be more worth living.
- If you don’t exercise, eat well or take care of yourself, you will become older fast. This is like giving up. You are still alive if you are reading this and you can do something about your own situation.
- So get out there and do something! Live it up! go dancing, have pets and paint pictures. There are a lot of things one can do.
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Grow Old and Be Happy Doing So. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.